ALL FINALISTS WILL RECEIVE A $100 GIFT CERTIFICATE
November 6, 2010 * 11:00 am - 4:00 pm
Doors Open at 10:30 am - Event Begins at 11:00 am SHARP at Bella Italia Ristorante (A Fine Italian Restaurant for over 40 years) 535 Central Avenue - Orange, NJ 07050Up to 300 Car Parking Facility * Close to Train Station and Bus Stop
Local Talk is proud to announce its 10th Anniversary on November 1, 2010. In honoring this occasion, we are celebrating our anniversary with our goal of making the community better in mind. For the first time ever, as we have heard, there will be a Public Speaking Contest in the Local Talk area, which includes Bloomfield, Irvington, East Orange, Maplewood, Montclair, Newark, Orange, South Orange, and West Orange. Also, we will honor some distinguished dignitaries with awards.
Local Talk Public Speaking Scholarship Contest Rules:
1. Principals of high schools in the Local Talk area will select their best public speaking student for the contest
2. A consent form must be completed by the chosen finalist as well as the finalist’s Principal or other administrative officer (the “administrative officer” may be either a Vice/Assistant Principal or Guidance Counselor) named by the Principal who chose the finalist. If the student is under 18, his/her parent or guardian must also sign.
3. Finalists will present a 5 minute speech in English on one of the following topics:
- The power of peace with an emphasis on one of these crusaders: Dr. King, Gandhi, Mother Teresa
- How to curtail terrorism
- The role of students in the global market
- How to fix today’s economy
- The future of health care in America
4. The speeches will be judged by a panel of dignitaries (To Be Decided)
5. The 1st place winner will receive a $2,500 scholarship, 2nd place $1,500, and 3rd place $1,000.
Attention: The deadline for finalist submission is 10/25/2010, so please contact your principal immediately. For more information call 973-678-2582.
For anyone who would like to be a sponsor of this event, please contact Dhiren Shah at 973-280-7547. So far, the following sponsors have signed on:
Local Talk 10th Anniversary Organizing Committee:
Dhiren Shah, Publisher: Local Talk / Local Talk Newark Newspapers Wayne Smith, Irvington Mayor
Kristopher Seals, Associate Editor: Local Talk / Local Talk Newark Newspapers Eldridge Hawkins, Jr., Orange Mayor
Pat Balavender, Managing Editor: Z Level Fitness Center Lisa Durden, TV Show Host